News & Media


January 19, 2016    Reading Time: 2 minutes

Get the latest news roundup here: 

Sri Lanka plans to boost tourism industry. Image Credit: Peppergrass, Creative Commons Licence

Reading Time: 2 min read


Plans to boost tourism in place

Under the auspices of the Ministry of Tourism, the Sri Lanka Tourism Promotion Bureau is to improve its 2016 plan for attracting tourists, with the aim of bringing Sri Lanka on par with other leading tourist destinations in the region.

Foreign media, including a top travel programme team from South Korea, are to be invited to raise awareness of local tourist attractions.

Premier to leave to Davos today

Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe is set to leave to Davos, Switzerland, to attend the World Economic Forum.

The Premier will be in attendance at the annual meeting of the Forum from 20th to 23rd January, during which he will be accompanied by Ministers Ravi Karunanayake and Malik Samarawickrama.

Sri Lanka targets $5 billion of FDI in the near future

The government hopes to attract $5 billion of foreign direct investment during the next three years.

Development Strategies and International Trade Minister, Malik Samarawickrama, expressed confidence in attaining the target despite poor FDI records in the past and a weakening global economic environment.


New sanctions imposed on Iran

The United States of America has imposed new sanctions on Iran, over the ballistic missile programme of the latter.

The new sanctions came days after western nations removed punitive sanctions imposed on Iran for its use of nuclear energy.

European Union adopts a resolution in condemnation of Israeli settlement

The European Union adopted a resolution against Israeli settlements on occupied Palestinian territories. 

The European Union’s foreign affairs council agreed on this unanimous stance after Greece dropped its opposition.

New Oxfam report reveals wealth-poverty ratio

Releasing new statistics, Oxfam stated that the richest 62 persons in the world own as much wealth as half of the rest of the global population. Similarly, the richest 1% own more than the other 99% does.

Higher wages, investment in public services, and effective tax-levying mechanisms can arrest the widening of the gap between the rich and the poor, according to Oxfam.

Untitled Document